Tuesday, August 21, 2007


Nippletop summit
Originally uploaded by kenmore photos
After Saturdays short (but successful) hike (and the evening rescue operation) I decided to try something more challenging on Sunday. I weighed my options and decided the right answer was a loop over Nippletop and Dial. The hike had all the right elements including some good bailout options if needed.

The day was overcast and cool (10C) – I must have missed all the hot hazy weather during my convalescence (that’s a shame ;-). Dark clouds filled the sky as I started but I gambled that it would clear up by the time I got to the summit (it never really did until I was driving home but at least it didn’t rain). The start was the walk up the Lake road, which – being a gravel road - was smooth and flat. Then the trail proper started uphill past Indian head to the Elk pass before the serious climbing began. The final ascent to Nippletop was really (really, really) steep - unrelenting steep for over a mile. At least the footing was good so I was able to climb well (albeit slowly). The summit was a gem with a good-sized balcony looking over the high peaks. I had some lunch and took a few photos before heading along the ridge to Dial. The rest of the walk was pretty easy. It was a gentle forest stroll with occasional (short) steep downs and ups… good walking.

By the time I reached Dial my ankle was starting to ache and it only got worse until I got back to the car. It forced me to slow down the pace and limited my mobility quite a bit as I descended the last mile or so. Seems like 5 hours is the current limit before it maxs out and starts to rebel… but hopefully with time that will get better. Today’s hike was 7 hours and change… not the longest but a good loop to be sure. I was hoping to do a few long hikes (10-12 hours) this summer but I may have to wait until later in the fall at which point some of the walk will be in the dark…no biggie as long as the things that go bump in the dark leave me alone.

Nippletop 30 of 46
Dial 29 of 46

No comments: