Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Test walk on the Rideau Trail


Monarch on a thistle
Originally uploaded by kenmore photos
After leaving the crowds of the Montreal race weekend I drove just north of Kingston to camp and get ready to do some hiking. With the recovery of the ankle going slowly I decided to ease into it with a few sections of the Rideau trail. I hoped this would be slightly less demanding trail and I could evaluate how my ankle was doing. I recently got the newest version of the Rideau Trail guidebook and noticed there were a few relocations of the trail in the southern portion so I thought I would check them out.

The RT has a wide variety of conditions along its length from bushwalking and swamp crossings to hydro easements or farmer’s woodlots and fields. I took a nice stretch south of Sydenham to start and walked through some farmer’s fields to a hydro easement. The new trail was a bit spotty to navigate. The grass was pretty tall and there hasn’t been too much in the way of trailwork so it was sometimes tough to be sure I was on the trail at all and not just bushwhacking but every now and then a trail marker appears to remind you that you are still on the right path. At one point I was stopped by a herd of cows passing through the bush in front of me. They actually flanked me and soon surrounded me! They passed me by with little more then a sideways glance. This was good as, while I have seen my share of cowboy movies, I’m not actually sure I know how to “punch those doggies” in practice.

By the end of the day I had tweaked my ankle more then was probably good for it so I’ll have to give it some more time before I hit the rugged mountain trails. Back to the bike for a while longer yet.

No comments: