Sunday, October 14, 2007

In the Lyon's den


Lyon Mountain firetower
Originally uploaded by kenmore photos
I've been battling a cold for the last week - trying to prevent it from getting its hooks in me. As a result not much action over the long weekend but I finally felt I had kicked the cold to the curb so Saturday I decided to try a hike. The weather forecast looked bleak with a front rolling through by lunchtime but I decided to take a chance. I headed down to Lyon Mountain in the northeast corner of the Adirondacks in hopes I could be up and down this peak before the rains started and then maybe I could try another trail later in the day depending on what the weather decided to do.

The weather has certainly changed since the hike over Giant and Rocky Peak ten days ago. When I parked the car it was 3C but at least the sun was out. That said I could see the cold front roaring in behind my car on the drive down... it was going to be a close one. Lyon mountain is almost a 4000fter so the trail up was a stiff climb. It clearly got colder as I got higher up and as I approached the summit there was considerable ice on the trees. Breaking out on the summit I could see the front over my head. The tower was covered in ice but I clambered up and got some great shots of the high peaks and Vermont to the east. With the cold wind blowing and the clouds slowly dropping in on me I didn't spend long before heading down. As I drove off to grab some lunch the rain started to pound down and the mountains disappeared in the clouds.

After lunch I drove over to a lower peak (Cathedral Rocks) and went for a walk in the rain. As luck would have it I had my umbrella in the truck so I took it with me. The wind was howling but the umbrella did nicely keep my head dry. From the summit of the second peak I had no view...but it was still a nice afternoon walk in the woods. All in all - in spite of the rain - it was a good day for a hike but winter is clearly finally approaching.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Is it my imagination or did you get a subscriber from France on this one? Perchance from Lyon?